The notes below were made by a researcher when searching registers in London, looking for information on the Bilston Pype family. Other information is also included. They are in no particular order but could help others in their research. Tim Hallchurch has copies of the Wills copied. Copies cannot be sent as they are copyright but the details have been largely extracted in the Pipe History.
If you find this information useful then e-mail email@example.com . More information is held some in manuscript and cannot be OCRd into text., but copies can be send for a small fee to cover costs and postage.
P.C.C. Registers searched 1383 ‑ 1800.
1561 Pipe Richard,Martocke,dioc.Bath & Wells. 8 Streat. N.B.I have skimmed through this will and cannot see any relationship to the "Staffordshire” Pipes, however I have enclosed a copy as a link might be found at a future date.
1587 Pipe Richard,Notts. 66 Spencer. Will of Sir Richard Pipe, copy enclosed. The will names wife as Jane,this second marriage has not been found. Children named in the will: Humfrye Pype, Richard Pype, Samuel Pype, Margaret Chamberlain, Susan Smith.
1588 Pipe Jane, Wallingwells, Notts. 11 Leicester. The Will of Sir Richards widow. Copy enclosed.
1598 Pipe Thomas, Ratcliff, Middlesex, nuncupative. 21 Lewyn. Leaves all goods and chattells to his brothers, George Pipe ,John Pipe. I did not copy.
1600 Pipe Robert, Dilton, Wilts. 54 Wallopp. Does not appear to connect with "Staffordshire" Pipes. I did not copy.
Sons: Adam, Abell, Joshua/Johna? each to receive a large selection of furniture at age 21. Daughters: Mary, Elizabeth, Anne, Elinor each to receive £10‑00 at age 21. Wife Alice Pregnant ‑ son or daughter to receive the same as those already living.
1603 Pipe John,Witcombe, Martock Somerset. 58 Bolein. Copy enclosed.
1609 Pipe Isabell. widow, Wytcombe, Martock, Somerset. 101 Dorset. Copy enclosed. N.B.Widow of above.
1613 Pipe Humfrey, esq; Wallingwalls, Notts. 66 Capell.
Son of Sir Richard Pipe. Copy enclosed.
1645 Pipe Nicholas of Norwich. 70 Rivers. I have skimmed through and can find no relationship but have enclosed a copy as this man may fit in somewhere at a later date.
1653 Piep William, jun.Yeo; Longloade,Martock Somerset. No copy made.
1714 Nov. Pipe Edmund of parish of Stepney London ‑ Mariner. will written 9 Oct 1703. All of estate to go to wife Elizabeth.
1759 Jul. James Pipe of Pembroke College Oxford. James Pipe leaves Staffordshire property etc to Clements family of Colwich, Staffs. Will written 1743.
P.C. indicates a will of one John Pipe 1782 May died abroard, however the actual will revealed the name to be Pipes.
The remaining London/Middlesex probate courts have only been searched in part,all could be continued to the 19th century. LONDON CONSISTORY COURT.
1492 ‑ 1547
ARCHDEACONRY COURT OF LONDON
1363 ‑ 1649
COURT OF HUSTING
1258 ‑ 1688
COMMISSARY COURT OF LONDON
1374 ‑ 1719
PIPE,GERMAN, BLACKFRIARS; ADMON.1592 14.235.
PIPE,ELIZ. SPINSTER. ST MARY WHITECHAPEL; ADMON. 1676 22.281
PIPE,ELLEN. WIDOW; CHRISTCHURCH NEWGATE. WILL 1642 28.352 V.,
PIPE JACOBUS FEB. 1710 WILL.
London Marriage Licences
1597 ‑ 1828: Only one entry;
SEP.8 1703 EDMUND PIPE OF STEPNEY, BACHELOR 22 AND ELIZABETH WAKE OF SAME SPINSTER 21, AT STEPNEY. This is probably the Edmund, mariner who left a will 1714.
Richard Pipe/Pype Lord Mayor of London.
The visitation of London 1568 includes the Pipe family,there is no mention in the visitations of 1633,1634,1635.
ARMS. Azure,a fess and two barsgemelles between six cross crosslets or. CREST. A demi‑pegasus, wings expanded argent.
Richard Pipe of Bilston, Staff. gent. = Margaret da.of Wakelyn of Derbyshire.
Children: Jo'nes Pipe sonne & hyre.
Richard Pipe sonne Alderman of London = Elizabeth da.of Humfrey Luce
John Pipe 3rd sonne of London
Joane Pipe = Richard Boylston of Newton in Derbyshire.
Rose Pipe = Henry Spercy of Klent in Staffordshire.
Alice Pipe = James Ducy of Staffordshire
Children of Richard Pipe & Elizabeth (no mention of second wife,J ane).
Humfrey Pipe eldest sonne Richard Pipe second sonne Evan Pipe third sonne David Pipe fourth sonne Samuel Pipe fifth sonne Margaret Pipe = Chamberlain Susan Pipe = Smith.
Visitation of Warwickshire 1634.
William Smith of Stoke Prior = ?
Son: Robert Smith of London Merchant Adventurer & Draper born 1535 buried at Stoke Prior 27 March 1610. = 2nd wife, Susan,dau. of Sir Richard Pipe, Lord Mayor of London. Bur.at Stoke Prior.
"The Citizens of London and Their Rulers 1060 ‑ 1867" B.B.Orridge. London William Tegg, Pancras Lane Cheepside. 1867.
1578 ‑ Sir Richard Pipe ‑ Draper's Company. From Wolverhampton. Alderman of Bishopsgate.
" The Aldermen of the City of London" Beaven 1913. Published by Corporation of the City of London.
1570 Sep.26. Oct.5.
Richard Pype Leatherseller, translated to Draper's Oct 2 1571 Knighted before February 11th 1579. Master‑ Leathersellers 1566 ‑ 7; Drapers 1573‑4, 1577‑8,1581‑2. Died September, 1587; Will P.C.C.66 Spencer June 22 Proved November 4,1587. Alderman‑ 1572‑3 vice Rowe.
Neither the Leatherseller's Company records or the Draper's Company records are deposited at Guildhall Library, both remain with the companies, It might be an idea to write to the archivists of both for any further information.
The Tudor Subsidy Roll for London 1582 has only one reference to Pipe and that is Sir Richard:
St Mary Aldermarye Parish.
268. Sir Richard Pype Knighte £350 (a) E.17 10s sum assessed.
(a) indicates that the collectors were discharged of the assessment upon the Commissioner’s affidavit that the collectors had sworn that the person assessed had no distrainable goods in the collection division.
Calendar of Patent Rolls 1573 ‑ 74. C.66/1132 15 June 1575
3083: Lease for 21 years to Richard Pype,alderman of London, of (1)lands in Kingescarlton, Wellome, Greneley on the Hill, Gildenwelles, Woodcettes, Todwicke, Harshill, Wayles, Brincefurthe, Rawmershe and Thropham and (2) the rectory of Camsall, Co. York,all once of Wallingwelles Priory, and all appurtenances of the premises in the said places or elsewhere, cos. York & Nottingham, with reservations: from Lady Day last; yearly rent E21 19s 5 1/2d; t he lessee to pay yearly out of (2) £16 13s 4d for the stipend of the vicar of Campsall, 26s 8d for a pension to the dean of the said church (sic), 20s for a pension to the Archbishop of York, 9s 6d for synodals & proxies to the said Archbishop, 10s for alms to the poor of the parish on Good Friday and 100s for a Curate celebrating divine service in Pontefract Castle, Co. York; also to collect quit & other rents in divers scattered places, late of the said priory, amounting to E8 4s ld yearly & pay them to the Receiver General of one of the said counties in consideration of Pype's Surrender in Chancery by deed,18 May 17 Eliz; of his interest in the premises; and for a fine of £43 18s lid paid at the Exchequer.
Visitation of Hertfordshire 1634 Vernon of Hertingfordbury.
SIR WILLIAM VERNON OF HADDON CO. DERBY MADE HIS WILL & DIED 1467 = MARGERETT, DA.& HEIR OF SIR ROBERT PIPE.
CHILDREN: SIR HEN. VERNON KT; S.P.
WILLIAM VERNON OF STEWKLEY, CO. HUNTS.
DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM VERNON OF STEWKLEY:
RICHARD VERNON " "
CHRISTOPHER VERNON OF HeRTINGFORDBURY ESQ; LIVING 1634.
The visitation of Shropshire 1623 differs:
WILLIMUS VERNON DE HADDON MILES = MARGARETTA FILIA D'NI FERRERS.
ROBERTUS PIPE DE SPERNOR MILES =? CHILDREN: BENEDICTA FIL ET CO HAER = EDMUNDUS VERNON
MARGERETA FIL ET CO HAER = RICHARDUS VERNON DE HADDON MILES.
This visitation concludes that William Vernon who died in 1467 was a son of Richard & Margareta of Haddon.
It might be worth looking at early Vernon wills to sort this one out.
I searched out the London Pipe events you listed, extracted from the IGI, unfortunately, the registers give no further information so it is not possible to determine where these people came from or their status.
1) Peter son of Ferman Pipe baptised 25 Nov. 1577 St Ann Blackfriars.
Ferman later becomes Jermaine when dau Elizabeth is baptised 21 Feb. 1584 at St Ann Blackfriars.
I suspect that this is German Pipe for whom there are letters of administration in the Commissary Crt. 1592. Letters of administration do not give much information as a rule but they might reveal his occupation.
2) George Pipe m Doreas Wheatley 1598 no mention of church, I thought it might be extracted from Boyd's marriage index but no luck there.
3) Jane Pipe m William Burden 3 Jun 1688 St James Dukes Plc.no further information in register.
4) Jane dau of Anthony & Elizabeth Pipe St Martin in the Fields, 1622. The early St Martin registers are , I extracted the following on the Pipe family:
25 AUG. 1628 ANNA PIPE FA ANTHONII ET ELIZABETH BAPTISM. 8 AUG. 1629 ANN PIPE FA ANTHONII BURIAL. 15 JAN 1621/2 JANA PYPE FA ANTHONII ET ELIZABETH 10 SEP 1623 JOHANNES PIPE FS ANTHONII ET ELIZABETH 28 MAY 1629 ANTHONIUS PIPE. VIR (MAN) BURIAL.
5) John m Ellin Sheeringe 16 Jan. 1618 St Bartholomew the less. Register not deposited.
6) Ann Pipe m John Phillippes 12 Feb. 1589 St Giles Cripplegate no further information.
7) David Pype baptised St Lawrence Jewry 1558. The St Lawrence Jewry register has entries as follows: 1557/8 Jan.22 David son of Mr Pype 1554/5 Jan.16 Mary dau.of Richard Pype 1556 Aug 12 John son of Richard Pype 1559 Jun.19 Samuell son of Richard Pyppe.
8) Dorcas Pipe m Stephen Smith 22 Aug 1605 St Bride Fleet Street. no further information.
9) Elizabeth dau of William Pipe Bapt. Holborn St Andrew 2 Aug. 1607 no further information.
10) Evan Pipe baptism of Evan Pipe 14 Jan. 1549 St Stephan Coleman St. No father's name given but presume this to be Evan son of Richard. Copy enclosed. Copy also enclosed of 1548 baptism same church, Richard Pype
ll) Margaret Pipe bapt.12 Apr. 1672 St Mary Whitechapel. Dau.of Will.& Damarice Pipe,only further information given is the address of High Street. Family might relate to the 1676 Administration of Elizabeth Pipe of Whitechapel, Commissary Crt.
London being so vast and the movement of people makes it a needle in a haystack to try to track these people down unless they appear in the will registers or are named in Pipe wills.
1. Whilst looking through the B.Ts. for WALTON ON TRENT, DERBYSHIRE I came across the burial of SAMUEL PIPE on 19/2/1779. He was shown as the Clerk & Rector of the Parish & also the Vicar or CROXALL a small nearby Parish. 2. I also found the marriage of his daughter ELIZABETH PIPE on 6/2/1775 to GEORGE GREAVES. This was by Licence & he was the Rector of STANTON junta PONTEM, DERBYSHIRE, he is 26, she is 21. 3. There is a book about CROXALL (where my wifes family come from! ) this shows SAMUEL PIPE as the Vicar from 1/11/1763 until his death in 1779. 4. PIPES in the CROXALL BOOK. relating to births & deaths are as shown below. Some are recorded as PIPE others as PIPES. 6/6/1779 JOHN son of JOHN PIPES baptised. 7/10/1781 JOSEPH son of JOHN PIPES of EDINGALE. 11/4/1784 SARAH dau of RICHARD & ELIZABETH PIPES 14/6/ 1784 RICHARD son of JOHN & CATHERINE PIPES Buried. 25/ 1/1786 RICHARD son of RICHARD PIPES Baptised. 6/1/1791 PHILIP son of JOHN & CATHERINE PIPES, paupers. baptised. 22/7/1810 THOMAS son of RICHARD & ELIZABETH PIPE baptised. 28/5/1811 CATHERINE dau. of JOHN & ANN PIPE baptised.
PIPES AT OXFORD & CAMBRIDGE.
I have found the following at Birmingam Library:
FOSTERS ALUMNI OXONIENSES 1500‑1886
1. HUMPHREY. probably a Commoner in or before 1564. Student of The Inner Temple
1568. (see Fosters Inns of Court Register)
2. HUMPHRFY son of SAMUEL of BILSTON, . Pembroke College; matric 9/7;1170() aged 18. B.A. from NEW INN HALL 1704 , M.A. from Pembroke 1712. 3. SAMUEL son of HUMPHREY of BIRMINGHAM cleric. Pembroke College Matric 26/3/1736 aged 16, B.A. 1739, M.A. 1742. 4. SAMUEL son of SAMUEL of TAMWORTH. cleric, Pembroke College Matric 3;'4/1767. 5. JAMES son of SAMUEL of STAFFORD Gent. b.1722. Matric. Pembroke College 1 8/5/'1739 , B.A. 1742, M.A. 1745. CAMBRIDGE. 1. SAMUEL PIPE, son of WALTER of BILSTON, at Peterhouse 1659‑60, Matric 1660, aged 22 in 1664. Married to HOWARD dau. of SIR RICHARD PRINCE of SHREWSBURY. This was from J.A. VENN , ALUMINI CANTABRIGIENSES. The above are also in the BIBLIOTHECA STAFFORDIENSES by RUPERT SIMMS 1894 plus:1. REV. JOHN S. PIPE, Wesleyan Minister 1790‑1835.
PIPE WILLS - NOTES.
1. 23/3/1662/3 SAMUEL PIPE, DUBLIN. Also BILSTON & STAFFORD.
2. 21/9/1731 SAMUEL PIPE, STAFFORD. Mentions wife JANE, daughters MARY,
JANE, ANN, son JAMES also brother in law MICHAEL SPACKMAN.
3. 20/3/ 1748 GRACE PIPE of TAMWORTH widow, SAMUEL PIPE executor, admins
only. This SAMUEL may be the REVD. SAMUEL PIPE of TAMWORTH.
4. 26/4/1775 JOHN PIPE of PHESSLEY ,DERBYSHIRE. I cannot see any connection
but will obtain a copy.
5. 30/7/1779 RICHARD PIPE of HOPWAS, TAMWORTH. Mention of MARY MOSS
wife of RICHARD MOSS. of BAXTERLEY son RICHARD PIPE of ATHERSTONE, also
sons ROBERT, JAMES, JOHN & THOMAS, also dau. ELIZABETH.
6. 16/3/1792 JOSEPH PIPE. of BONEHILL, nr. TAMWORTH. mentions sons JOHN &
JOSEPH of FAZELEY, also wife SARAH, & dau. MARY BULLOCK wife of JOHN
BULLOCK of BONEHILL.
7. 17/6/1706 SAMUEL PIPE of BILSTON. mention wife HOWARD, also dau. ANNE,
SARAH, & sons HUMPHRY & SAMUEL..
8. 24/1/1715/6 ANNE PIPE of WOLVERHAMPTON. Mention of brother 14UMPHRY &
sister SARAH. ANNE was a spinster.
9. 13/11/ 1716 HOWARD PIPE widow, of BILSTON. mention of daus. DOROTHY
DAMES & SARAH PIPE spinster, also youngest son HUMPHRY.
10. 10/1789 THOMAS PIPES of BRANSTON nr. BURTON ON TRENT. ? no connection.
11. 11/I 1/1825 JAMES PIPE of HADEMORE nr. WHITTINGTON, LICHFIELD. Mention of RICHARD PIPE of TAMWORTH, grocer, wife ANN also sons JAMES & GEORGE; daus. MARIA, EMMA & CATHERINE.
12. 5/9//1828 THOMAS PIPE the elder. of WEEFORD. Exec. som RICHARD of
TAMWORTH, mention also of daus, FANNY, son THOMAS & 3 g/children who were
children of the late HANNAH BULLOCK his daughter.
13 7/6/1834. THOMAS PIPE of HANDSACRE, mention of wife JOANNA & brother
.TAMES a mercer & draper of TAMWORTH.
14.1733 SARAH PIPE of BIRMINGHAM. dau. of SAMUEL & HOWARD of BILSTON
,mention of nephew SAMUEL, son of late brother HUMPRY also JAMES son of late brother
SAMUEL. also brother RICHARD.
PYPE, Sr Robert de, Kt. A witness at proof of age of Edm., Baron of Stafford, 30 Jy. 1294 (Inq.). Comr in Staff., Derb., and Leic., 23 Aug. 1295, and ' re Magna Carta in Staff. 10 May 1300. Assessor, etc., of subsidy there, 1 Nov. 1301, and 1302 (P.R.). SUMd from Staff. to serve agst. Scots 25 May 1298 (P.W.). Outlawed with Rog. and Thos. de P. for unlawful assemblies, but pardoned 16 Ap. 1326 (C.R.).
PIPE, Sr Thomas de la, Kt. Dasure cussile d'or a une fesse dor. Staff. (Parl.). Holds lands at Draycote, Staff., late of P. Edm., 3 Jy. 1297 (Inq.). He has married sine lic. Margaret, wid. of Edm., Baron.of Stafford, 26 Aug. 1308, (C.R.). Sr Thos. de P. acknowledges 1 1/2 Kt. Fee, and will serve, per 3 serjents, 10 Sep. 1310 (P.W.). Having served in 4 Ed. II, had his scutlage in divers counties, 20 Jy. 1319 (S.R.). Protection
for him and w Margaret, going over seas, 24 Feb. 1311. Pardon re Gaveston 16 Oct 1313. Lic. for him to alienate mess. and lands at Marchington under Nedwode, Staff., to the parson of Hambury, 3 Nov. 1313 (P.R) He and w. Margery hold lands in Warw. formerly of Edm., Baron of Stafford, 20 Feb. (C.R.), and he is lord of Madeley and Bradley in the Moors, Staff., 5 Mar. 1316. SUMd to serve agst. Scots 30 Mar. 1314, and 1316 (P.W.). Sr Thos. de P., Kt., witnesses deed of Guy, E. of Warwick, 12 Mar. 1315. Assessor, etc., of subsidy, Staff., 2 Dec.1322. Supervisor of Array there 1 Aug. 1324, Warw. 1325, Conservator of Peace, Staff., 5 Jy. 1324 (P.R.). Made Custos of Kinver Forest 7 Aug. 1322 (F.R.). SUMd as a Kt. of Staff. and Warw. to Gt. Council at Westminster 9 May 1324 (P.W.). He and w. Margaret, with Rob. and Rog. de Pype, Ralph de Stafford, and others were outlawed for unlawful assemblies, but forgiven, as they are in company of the Const. of Dover Cas. and for K., 16 Ap. 1326 (C.R.).