Fragments of Trivia about Woodeaton



The First English Aeronaut

Along the wall that runs along Deadman's Walk and borders Christ Church Meadow is a plaque in honour of James Sadler, the first English aeronaut. He was the son of a pastry cook and became an assistant at the old Ashmolean Museum, before taking to the air and earning himself the title "The King of the Balloon". The plaque commemorates his flight in 1784, in a "fire balloon", to Woodeaton, about six miles from Oxford. Imagine the amazement of the inhabitants of the village. In October 1811 Sadler flew from Birmingham to Boston, Lincolnshire, in under four hours. The following year he attempted to cross the Irish Sea and very nearly succeeded, having to ditch off Anglesey. During the flight he mended a tear in the balloon's fabric with his neckcloth. Ironically the fishing boat that rescued him from the sea ran its bowsprit through the balloon. King George III was a keen admirer of Sadler's exploits.

John Weyland, Esq., of Woodeaton, Oxfordshire, was lord of the manor and owner of the soil [of Woodrising Norfolk] The manor was formerly held by the Southwells, of which family was Sir Richard Southwell, chancellor to Edward VI. John Tucker, Esq., resides at Woodrising Hall, a modern mansion in a small park, near Scoultonmere, Norfolk. Queen Elizabeth was entertained at Woodrising Old Hall in 1578, by Lord Paget, on her progress through Norfolk.




Born: March 29, 1866 Woodeaton, England

one sister Elizabeth (Nellie) stayed in England

Came to Bristol RI at age 21 in 1887

Liverpool to NY

Married: Oct 28 1891 Annie Elizabeth Wardwell Lindsey

Occupation: Machinist, Herreshoff Manufactoring, Bristol

Member: Masons

Residence: 36 Union St. Bristol

Buried in North Cemetery from Trinity Church

Died in Bristol October 4, 1899 age 33 Tuberculosis

Survived by wife Annie and son Charles age 2

His mother and sister were still alive in England at his death in 1899



Death of Charles W. Tirrell

After a lingering illness with pulmonary trouble, Charles William Tirrell died Wednesday forenoon at 11:30 o'clock at his home, No 36 Union Street, in his 34th year. He had been ill for nearly 2 years, but was able to work until a year ago when he gave up his situation as a skilled machinist at the works of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company where he had been employed for many years. Medical skill was powerless to arrest the progress of the wasting disease with which he was afflicted and he was gradually failing for the past year. He bore his sufferings patiently, however, and even when there seemed to be but little or no hope of his recovery he was uncomplaining. He possessed a generous and cheerful nature and a character of uprightness and integrity which won for him many friends. Mr. Tirrell was born March 29, 1866 where he presided until he was 21 years of age when he came to this country. He entered the employ of the Herreshoff Manufacturing Company of this town about 12 years ago and was employed there steadily until failing health compelled him to retire. Octobeer 28, 1891 he married Miss Annie W. Lindsey of this town, who survives him. One child was born to them, a son, who is 15 months old. A mother and a sister of Mr. Tirrell reside in England, but he had no relatives in this country. The deceased was worshipful master of St. Alban's Lodge, No 6. A.F. and A.M. of this town, and he was well known in Masonic circles. He was also a charter member of Lewis Lodge, No 20, Ancient Order of United Workmen of this town, and held the office of Recorder in that lodge for a number of years, until failing health compelled his resignation. HE was a member of the vestry of Trinity Church, also of Trinity choir, being much interested in musical doings. The funeral will be held next Sunday afternoon at one o'clock, from the late residence of the deceased. Rev. W. R. Trotter will conduct the services. It will be a Masonic funeral in charge of St. Alban's Lodge A.F. and A.M. A delegation from Lewis Lodge, A.O. F. W. will also attend.

Clipping received 6/98 from Don Tirrell from unknown Bristol newspaper
FROM PROVIDENCE JOURNAL FRIDAY OCTOBER 6, 1899 OBITUARY Charles William Tirrell died at his home on Union Street, Bristol Wednesday. He had been ill nearly a year. He was 33 years of age and was born in Woodeaton England in 1866 and came to Bristol Ri in 1887. He was educated in England and was an expert machinist, being employed at the boat manufactories in this town. At the time of his illness. He was a member and also a vestryman of Trinity Church Bristol, and was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, St. Slban's Laodge, No 6 of Masons and was also a member of Hope Royal Arch Chapter of Bristol. He leaves a widow and one child. His funeral Sunday will be under the direction of St. Alban's Lodge of Masons.


Welcome to Russ Preston's Home Page

Family Researcher from Geelong Victoria, Australia

Thomas & Matilda (Browne) Preston

Thomas, the 3rd child of John and Hannah (Jones) Preston was born in 1833 Woodeaton, Oxfordshire married Matilda, the daughter of Henry and Sydney Browne who was born in 1838 in Tullamore, Ireland. They were married on the 28th of March 1855 in Victoria. She was 17 years old and he was 22.

Thomas with his brother Robert settled at Mt Duneed and share-farmed a property. Later Thomas purchased his own property "Fernbank".

They had 11 children.

John Henry (1856-1937) married Anna Sophy Roell (1870-1949)

Harriete (1857-1931) married Frank Phillips (-)

Thomas William (1860-1937)

Matilda Ellen (1863-1938) married William James Bachelor Pargeter (1864-1961)

Sydney Elizabeth (1864-1924) married John Henry George Ellis (1862-1937)

Robert Arthur (1867-1857) married Charlotte Ward Hart (1876-1952)

Hannah Mary (1869-1959) married Frederick Challis (-)

Ada Caroline (1871-1956) spinster

Ernest Edward (1873-1932) married Edith Adelaide Ackland (1878-1963)

Frederick Herbert (1875-1956) married Florence Searle Drew (1877-1938)

Walter Charles (1878-1966) bachelor

   Thomas died on the 31st of August 1902 aged 69 years. Matilda then moved to South Geelong and purchased "Sunnyside" in Verner St. where she died on the 10th of January 1911 aged 73. Both are buried together at the Mt.Duneed Cemetery.